RV Campervan

Best Insurance Tips for RVs & Motorhomes

New to owning an RV? Just bought your first campervan or motorhome? You will be interested in insurance tips for RVs and motorhomes.

Before you can hit the open road and start living the #vanlife lifestyle, you will need to get insurance. Just like you car, you will need insurance to be able to travel in your RV or motorhome.

RV ownership is at a record high and almost a third of owners are new, according to a study by The RV Industry Association. No wonder so many new owners are looking for insurance tips for RVs and motorhomes.

The study found that ownership rose more than 62% over the past 20 years with a record 11.2 million households owning RVs and almost a third (31%) being first-time owners.

What is the difference between a standard car insurance policy and an insurance schedule for an RV? Erie Insurance provide some insurance tips for RV and motorhomes to ensure you get the most from your policy.

“With so many people hitting the road in RVs for the first time, we want to make sure they’re prepared,” said Jon Bloom, vice president of personal auto, Erie Insurance.

“I know from personal experience that an RV is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and connect with friends and family, but it’s a lot different than taking a road trip in a car. We want to help people enjoy their trip and protect the investment they’ve made in their RV.”

What does RV Insurance cover?

If you own a motorized RV, you will need to purchase separate liability coverage for that vehicle. RV insurance can protect your motorized RV with the same coverages as the vehicles on your auto insurance policy.

For towable RVs, the liability coverage on the insured vehicle pulling the trailer more often than not extends to the towable RV itself.

With both motorized and towable RVs, you may want to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage – something that may actually be required by your policy holder.

This type of policy will protect you when your RV is parked or when it’s in storage should it sustain any damage or be collided with.

Other insurance policies could include Emergency Roadside Service, Rental Car Expense Coverage and an umbrella policy, all of which give you added layers of protection.

You will need to check what is included in your policy and upgrade where necessary.

Car Insurance vs RV Insurance

Whether for a car or an RV, you’ll need Liability insurance, which covers injuries to others or damage to others’ property if you are responsible for an accident, and you will also likely want Comprehensive and Collision to cover your own vehicle.

Many people choose Umbrella coverage as an extra layer of protection on top of their existing Auto, RV or Home insurance.

Umbrella may be especially helpful for RVers given the different risks. Talk to your insurance agent to help you choose the coverage that’s best for you based on your specific needs.

RELATED: 10 North Dakota Road Trop Ideas